Jewellery Care Tips
Congratulations! You have just purchased something very precious for yourself or a loved-one, so it of course should be treated accordingly. Here are some simple tips to help you care for your jewellery and keep it in pristine condition:
- Store your jewellery securely when it is not being worn. Keep each item in the box or pouch that it came in. Keeping your jewellery separated will prevent rubbing which can cause scratches due to metal on metal contact.
- Keep your jewellery and related documents (invoices, valuations, gem certificates and insurance details) in a secure place, like a safe.
- Have your jewellery professionally cleaned and polished every 12-18 months, especially for items that you wear regularly like rings and earrings.
- Take off your jewellery (especially rings) when performing physical tasks like exercising, cleaning and gardening. Also take off your jewellery when showering and swimming. The cleansers from shampoo’s and shower gels can result in fine rings slipping off and going down the drain. Also, the pool chlorines can tarnish the finish of your jewellery.
- For a quick, at home clean in-between the annual professional polishing service, we recommend soaking your diamond jewellery in a bowl of warm soapy water for a few minutes, followed by a gentle scrub using a soft toothbrush, then rinsing under clean water and drying with a hairdryer on a tea towel.
Remember, a little TLC goes a long way!